Sunday, May 13, 2012

Internet is Fun : A Family Conversation


Steve Jobs says 'I am very excited about having the Internet in my den'
Internet has dawned into the lives of people and made a remarkable positive difference to one and all. With 2.2+ billion members on the Internet, many of the activities offline are available over the Internet from the ubiquitous mobile phone now. The generation which is born in the Internet world can hardly imagine how people used to get things done earlier, how they used to engage in social conversations, how they could wait for things to happen instead of making them happen, how they could buy products from global brands, how they could travel easily and many more. The previous generation are joining the younger brigade to enjoy the new-found ways of doing things over the Internet. Yes, Internet is Fun !

Here is a short conversation between Dad, Mom and Daughter of a Family. Obviously, Daughter is an ardent fan of Internet on the mobile. The characters are fictitious but all the Internet related aspects discussed through this conversation are very much true.


Dad
Your mom and self are going to Hyderabad next month. Can you go to the railway station and book tickets?
Daughter
Tell me the date and train in which you want to travel. I will book the tickets right now.
Dad
25th June by Rajdhani.
Daughter
Let me try with Paymate on my mobile. [ punches a few keys… ]
Dad
You can book tickets on mobile?
Daughter
Yeah. Here you go ! Tickets are available for that date and train. You want me to confirm?
Dad
WoW ! Yes.
Daughter
Done. I have given your mobile number. You will get a mobile ticket, which you can show in the train while boarding.
Dad
That's it ?
Daughter
Yeah ! Now let me check out Kiran's marriage photos.
Dad
Kiran… the one who got married last night?
Daughter
Yes.
Dad
How can his photos come out so early. They need to be printed and processed.
Daughter
Daah ! 30 of us friends attended his marriage. All of us had cameras in our phones. We snapped almost 200 pix and captured the moments. And they are all uploaded to Google+, Facebook and Flickr. Mom, you want to see the girl on my mobile?
Mom
Yes beta. Ah, she looks very pretty ! I wonder who brokered this marriage !
Daughter
He posted his profile on e-matrimony sites like Shaadi and Bharat Matrimony. He showed some pix to me as well on his mobile a while ago.
Mom
How can they marry someone without seeing them?
Daughter
Mom, they met through the matrimony sites, saw each others' photo, learnt about each others' family, spoke to each other on the phone, exchanged 50 e-mails and SMS on phone - Internet is Fun! I heard that when dad came to see you, 50 members came in one ambassador car and you could hardly see dad, forget about talking to him.
Mom
Yeah, there were no seats left to sit for our family in the hall and there were no sweets after they left the hall. BTW, the jewellery is looking awesome !
Daughter
He bought it from CaratLane, a new online jewellery store.
Mom
OMG ! I thought he got only the bride on the Internet.
Daughter
He bought his watch, footwear and t-shirts also on the Internet. BTW, he has got a special deal with 80% off on a spa treatment before marriage ! I guess he got most of them at Snapdeal. It's raining deals, deals and deals in India these days !
Mom
Oh ! I wonder if he buys at least inner wear in a physical shop !
Daughter
Mom, if he could buy jewellery online, why would he buy innerwear from a physical shop?
Mom
Hmm… anyway, where are they going for honeymoon?
Daughter
Maldives. Kiran booked a honeymoon package on MakeMyTrip - includes transport to airport, flight tickets, hotel accomodation, sight-seeing, blah blah...
Mom
Okay. How come your desk is so neat?? Where is your desktop computer?
Daughter
Ha Ha. I sold it on OLX site yesterday, from my mobile. Internet is Fun !
Dad
how are you going to work on your assignments now? You were talking about Google being your best friend.
Daughter
Now, everything is my mobile Dad. I can even search by using voice commands with my phone. Oh, again Mamata Banerjee is throwing tantrums and she's gone one step ahead and saying that there will be early Lok Sabha polls. Damn !
Dad
I am just watching that news on TV! How do you know that?
Daughter
I've got Live TV on my mobile - Internet is Fun !
Mom
Your dad has been watching this stupid news for the whole day. I am missing my favorite TV serials every other day.
Daughter
If you want, I can show you the latest TV serials from Youtube on my mobile.
Mom
See, my daughter is always there to help me.
Dad
Ask her to pay electricity bill first. Otherwise, she cannot charge her mobile and say 'Internet is Fun' from tomorrow.
Daughter
Dad, I paid it from…
Dad
From your mobile phone. I know. [ he is beginning to get upset that the next generation is able to do so many things just using a mobile, without moving an inch ]
Daughter
Yes.
Dad
Ok. Your mom and self are going for a movie this evening. Where ever you go in the morning, come back early in the evening today.
Daughter
Sure. If you want, I can book tickets for you using BookMyShow on my mobile - Internet is Fun !
Dad
I changed my mind. We shall go to a restaurant and have a romantic evening.
Daughter
Great ! Shall I book a table for you through Bookurtable ? If you still insist on going to a restaurant, I can check out on Zomato about reviews of nearby restaurants.
Dad
[ Grr…… ] Nope. We shall go to Kohli uncle's house and spend our evening there.
Daughter
I read a message from Kohli uncle on Facebook yesterday that he is going to watch IPL 5 match in Bangalore today ! BTW, it seems he booked the IPL tickets on the Internet. I don't want to go there all the way. I watch it live on my mobile over Internet. See, Internet is Fun !
Dad
[ temper is raising… ] Then, we shall go out to buy some groceries.
Daughter
Dad, you can buy groceries on the Internet now. Check out bigbasket, mygrahak and other such stores.
Dad
[ the stakes are increasing… ] We shall go to temple, get the blessings of God and return with prasad.
Daughter
If you want peace of mind, you can certainly visit the temple, but if you are keen on blessings and prasad, I can order that online.
Dad
[ give-up… ] Instead of doing all these fun things on the Internet, why don't you apply for a Job?
Daughter
Dad, I am working on a couple of freelancer jobs, which I got through Internet. I am not interested in a full-time job; I want to become an Entrepreneur. I need your help for that Dad. I would need about 10 Lakh Rupees as initial capital to start my own company.
Dad
[ sarcastic… ] Why don’t you ask for funding on the Internet?
Daughter
I did apply to a few Venture Capitalists by browsing their sites and sending e-mail. I did connect with a couple of them on LinkedIn, a professional networking site. In fact, I did all these things from my mobile. I am yet to hear from them. Oh, while we were talking I just placed an order for 100 shares of Financial Technologies through National Stock Exchange (NSE) - Internet is Fun !
Mom
Dearest, I don't feel like cooking today. Is it possible to order some food online?
Daughter
Tell me what you want Mom. This Genie is at your service on Mother's Day. Do you want South Indian, North Indian, Chinese, European or Thai?
Mom
[ Still Laughing… ] Get me a Pizza baby !
Daughter
Domino's - Done ! I got a good deal - buy one get one free ! Internet is Fun ! BTW, it is going to rain for the next three days. Weather application on my device has given a warning. If you want any fruits or vegetables, let's order on the Internet NOW !
Dad
Why do you keep saying 'Internet is Fun'? You guys are addicted to it and forget about the rest of the world.
Daughter
Dad, I say that 'Internet is Fun' because It allows me to do all the things which I want - work, learn, read, listen, watch, buy, sell, chat and talk - without leaving my house. Those verbs pretty much describe my life in a nutshell. Moreover, I can fulfill our wishes and yet stay close to you all ! Internet is Fun?
Dad, Mom
[ pause and silence for 3 seconds... ] Yes. Internet is Fun ! [ They all get into a huddle and cherish the moment… ]
Daughter
Super! Now, if you excuse me, I need to get back to my room and 'Hangout' with my friends on Google+.

This article fits well into the theme of my blog, but written more in the context of 'Internet is Fun' contest by Vodafone (http://vodafone.in/fun) and Indiblogger.

20 comments:

  1. Amazing Vijay. Really Enjoyed the conversation between the father and Daughter. Why dont you try to write the script for Media contents like Movie script, Tv Scrip etc.....? Looking forward!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Parthi :-) Nice to know that you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Noce post...and fun filled conversation. Read mine @ www.sunilspeaks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunil. I like your post as well and left a comment on your site.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey Punit! Thanks for stopping by. Happy that you enjoyed :-)

      Delete
  4. //Yeah, there were no seats left to sit for our family in the hall and there were no sweets after they left the hall//
    This one is funny..No seats..No sweats..Nice rhyming..
    Enjoyed the conversation between Mother,Father and Daughter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vajra. Glad that you enjoyed the conversation :-).

      Delete
  5. good one,.....internet is real fun hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have to be a script writer for movies or advertisements!! Truly good writing skills... I too have become an internet geek to be frank, I rely on internet for everything. For electronic items I go for flipkart or amazon, vegetables are good at buygreenz and groceries are best at qusec.in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for for resourceful post...Keep posting.. Send Flowers To Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice ..i like it am so happy to read your article it is so interesting and who dose not like this blog i mean to say .. all are like this blog because it is so useful bolg thanks to harring us send flowers to ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete
  9. it am so happy to read your article it is so interesting and who dose not like this blog i mean to say .. all are like this

    pest control services in mumbai |

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi see your blog thank for sharing this blog it was very nice http://www.nortoncontactnumber.co/

    ReplyDelete