Saturday, March 31, 2012

Food, Eating Patterns and Technology


 
When I was a kid, my mom used to feed me. I grew-up to be able to pick-up food from my plate and eat for self; my mom patiently used to clear the mess. I went to college and got accustomed to canteens, fast-food joints and tea stalls. Got a job and with enough hard earned money to squander, I took to multi cuisine restaurants - South Indian, North Indian, Rajasthani and the like. Corporate world, for its own benefits, sent me abroad and I got a taste of Continental, Malay, Singaporean, Chinese and American (I used to eat bread only during fever earlier but realized that one man's fever-food is another man's bread later) food. So far, I was actively visiting the food places to enjoy my food.

If ever I ordered food for home delivery, that was over the phone. I could neither understand the language nor the words uttered by the restaurant folks. They would hardly be able to communicate the 3 page menu items in an understandable way. Now, technology has brought the convenience of menu at my finger-tips online in India. I could select a restaurant in my locality,  browse through the menu leisurely and order online when I prepare my mind. I can alter the menu umpteen times till I am utterly satisfied and then place the order. Try out http://justeat.in. If the reviews do not tickle your funny bone, read them again !

With technology, I could afford to become lazy and my eating pattern has changed again - food comes home and I do not need to go to food place anymore ! I guess that takes me to childhood when my mom used to bring me food :-) If you still prefer to visit the restaurant and eat, there is this option online to book your table conveniently.

Middlemen have always played a big role in trade. There are always two or three layers of middlemen between manufacturer and end-customer in any line of business. They are required in the ecosystem to bridge the obvious gap in supply-chain. The online middlemen like ebay, Amazon and justeat.in makes it even more interesting. Justeat.in does not own the restaurants, don't have delivery boys, do not decide the menus, do not take online payments and from the comments in the site I figure out that they take up very little responsibility through call center.

But their tie-ups with different restaurants gives variety in choice for end-customer (sweets, pizzas, sandwitches, biryani, rotis and what not !) and a bachelor foodie should be able to enjoy the feast at home while watching TV. With IPL coming shortly, this service should be really worth a try !

2 comments:

  1. technology adds to our comfort but we should not let it add to our laziness-no ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think laziness is a by-product of technology in a few cases :-)

    ReplyDelete